Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Boy at Work

Yesterday I was a checker at work. I was kind of surprised at how much
I had forgotten how to do. There was one incident which was very
heartwarming. A little boy about 8 years old came to the counter with a
little money purse and some one dollar bills. He bought some candy with
it. I asked if that was all he wanted to buy and he said with a smile,
"Maybe." He then counted his money and asked something like, "If you
were going to buy some candy for 60 cents what would it be?" I said I'd
probably get a snickers bar because that's my favorite. He then went
back into the store and got a case of root beer and bought that. Again
I asked him if that was all he wanted to buy and he gave me the same
response. Every time I asked it I meant is that all you want me to ring
up at the moment, but he thought I meant is that all he wanted to buy
at all. He went back to look for more after looking at his money again.
He came back with a bar of snickers and said something like, "After I
pay for this you can have it." I was flattered. It was very sweet of
him to think of me.

I've had heaps of free time lately. It's been pretty ridiculous. I
think things will pick up. I feel like such a waister of time but I'm
trying to be wise.

Today at lunch I ate with many of my good friends. Christi was there as
well. While we were eating she came over to the empty seat beside me
and said, "I need to talk with you about a concern I have." She said
she realized that she never saw me yesterday and that she's worried
we'll never see each other Tuesdays or Thursdays because of our
different schedules. So we worked out a time when we could both eat
lunch together on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I of course felt flattered
that she would think and say such a thing to me. But it was slightly
embarrassing. I'm such a sucker for such flattery that it's hard to
keep control of my emotions. But don't worry, despite what she or
anyone may think, we're just friends. Afterwards Leah wanted to make
sure I didn't feel as if I didn't have control over my time and made it
clear that I didn't have to come to lunch. Hehe it's funny, people
(including myself) spend way too much time analyzing these things. I
suppose it can be a huge distraction if we let it.

No comments: