Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Self Effort and Greatness

I'm frustrated with myself and my inability to accomplish anything.
I've thought of many things which I want to do but my critical mind
keeps shooting them down with excuses like, that'll take too much time,
you don't have enough knowledge about that, what if no one goes along
with that idea. I've heard that the greatest things in life are those
which you have to work hard at. I pray that I'd rise to the challenge
and be able to overcome all of the obstacles my mind comes up with.
It's so easy to be lazy these days and hard to be productive!
Motivation and discipline are two areas of my life which are lacking
right now.

I would like to have a project or hobby or something which I'm really
passionate about. Something I can do which is actually useful for the
rest of my life. So instead of using my free time by watching
Smallville, checking my email, and surfing the net I'd like to DO
something! Apathy is my enemy.

In chapel yesterday the speaker, Dr. Johnson (my philosophy professor),
brought up the point that many people just want what is easy and only
pay attention when it will help them. This was in the context of our
education. Anyway he said that if you have that mindset then you will
only strive for a faith that is easy and will therefore not go
anywhere. Basically, one must work hard in order to achieve great.

I'm going to get some dinner with Snorri.

No comments: