Tuesday, February 21, 2006

My soul thirsts

Last night I read Psalm 42. The Psalms amaze me. The following lines are lovely in every since of the word, as they are a loving message from my God.

My soul thirsts for God, for the living God;

When shall I come and appear before God?

My tears have been my food day and night,

While they say to me all day long, 'Where is your God?'...

...Why are you in despair, O my soul?

And why have you become disturbed within me?

Hope in God, for I shall again praise Him

For the help of His presence.

It struck me that what I had been thinking earlier in the day seemed to be addressed in this Psalm. It is the truth that our souls long for God and God alone. There are many bits of good (a.k.a. God) seen everyday. But only going directly to Him will fulfill our inherent longing.

When I pursue happiness in temporary things it's as if evil is asking, 'Where is your God?' But if I begin with a pursuit of God, evil will have no mocking questions. When I remember God beside me it helps. O my soul, hope in God.

No comments: