Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Outside of Finiteness is in-Finiteness, Believe it or Not

I hope my readers haven't given up on my posts. Here, finally, is another one.

I'm so frustrated with myself! My mind won't stop telling me life would be better with a lover. I suppose I'm not doing myself any favors by posting about it and thus thinking about it more. So instead of complaining about my current state I've decided to take a liking to being single. So much more freedom. In theory I'll have many years with someone, even a greater number than without. So it's good. "LG, Life's Good."

I wonder how much less I would desire a girl if it wasn't for my society telling me life is better with someone. I mustn't give in! I'll like my life as it is. (It's a good idea at least.) Plus when I think about it, my thoughts are focused completely on the temporary, which isn't what God says we should be focused on.

By the way, I hope I don't appear to be trying to arouse pity. I know my feelings are nothing different from most anyone else. And my single life really isn't as depressing as I may make it sound.

I was reading in Exodus the other night. God was speaking to Moses on the top of a mountain when he suddenly told Moses to go back down the mountain because of what the Israelites were doing (they were worshipping a golden calf). God told Moses to leave Him alone so that his anger may rage against them and that he may destroy them and then rise up a nation from Moses alone. Moses then pleads with God not to destroy them.

And get this -- Exodus 32:14, "So the Lord changed His mind about the harm which He said He would do to His people." How does God change his mind?!! I was quite surprised when I read that. God can't learn because he knows all. Which means that whatever it was Moses said to him, he new prior to his telling him. Which means that God must of had a reason to "change His mind." Perhaps to teach Moses and or us to make our requests known to God. I guess I can see that.

But I don't understand nor do I think I will ever understand in this world how scripture can say that God changed his mind when he didn't!! He knew what he was going to do all along. Jigga wha'? It's another one of those frustrating things about Christianity that you just kinda think about, get mad for a little bit and eventually move on, trying not to think about it any longer.

After that depressing thought let me say that there is an explanation. Our minds are finite. What is, is in-finite.

2 comments:

Russ said...

Hey, MrDennis - you should read my blog, and we can commiserate in our dissatisfaction with our single state.

That, and I post random funny things. Ok, maybe not so funny, but the are selfish.

RussN

Anonymous said...

In regards to God changing His mind, I think He wanted to see that Moses was committed to the nation and had to make sure He got the point across that if Moses was not ready to make his fate the same as the Israelites, then the entire nation would be destroyed. Just a thought.