Monday, April 24, 2006

Greene Day

This weekend was good. I went to Greene Day on Saturday. Greene Day is an annual gathering at the Green's house (Leah's family) for volleyball and food and such. It was great fun. Volleyball is such a fun group activity. I'm always surprised at how competitive the Greene family is. They take it pretty seriously. At least as seriously as I take it. You know how some people (particularly girls) can be whimpy about sports and shy from the ball? Well not the Greenes. Especially Natalie. I'm always really impressed by her volleyball skills. She's probably about 13 but she plays really well, with the overhand serve and everything. She used to be on a team. If you have access to Facebook, there are a few pictures in one of Christi Vondrak's albums.

On Sunday I went to church and then went out to eat with Christi, Kameron and Becky. It was really fun. Mostly because I was the only guy. I wanted Snorri to come but he was invited to eat with some other church folk. It was his birthday yesterday and I didn't even realize it until later in the day. I feel kind of bad.

Psalm 85:9 "Surely His salvation is near to those who fear Him, That glory may dwell in our land." I like this verse because I see something beneath the surface. It occurred to me that if His salvation is near to
those who fear Him than that implies that we are constantly in danger of something and need to be saved. It's almost like His salvation is some sort of thing. It gives me the image of a physical object or force around those who fear Him.

Secondly, Psalm 85:10 "Lovingkindness and truth have met together; Righteousness and peace have kissed each other." Isn't that truly amazing imagery? I love it. One of the most intimate of expressions - kissing. Our God is tightly wound with righteousness, peace and purity.

No comments: