Monday, May 29, 2006

United We Stand (on what?)

I just came back from watching except for one the most terrifying and disturbing movie I've ever seen. I don't think a movie has ever upset me quite this much save the Passion of the Christ. By upset I don't necessarily mean anger, but moved. The movie was United 93. I believe the reason it effected me so is because of how close to reality it probably is. It's done in a way that is very similar to a documentary - without the narration of course. Everything that took place prior to the hijacking was so believable it was eery. All of a sudden the terrorists made their move. Things that took place before my eyes left my brain saying, "No, that's not supposed to happen" because of all that it went against. You can't help but sympathize with the characters playing your fellow Americans.

At one point the movie made an interesting connection. It showed passengers quoting the Lord's prayer contrasted with the prayers of the terrorists. Both prayers were calls in a time of distress. I realized that one will default to one's foundational beliefs when all is stripped away. This is why to those with firm belief in God and the Kingdom the evil intentions of others will not succeed no matter how great the offence. Their minds are made up. If America is foundationally firm on Good the terrorists might as well pack it up and go home. They have no hope of persuasion. Of course if we're not, we will naturally default to evil. They will have persuaded us to their evil beliefs (though they take a different form than islam). And they (or rather the greater evil) will have won.

We should all pray for America.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»