Saturday, July 31, 2004

Camp

I've been at a camp since Thursday. We had a really good time. I wasn't
sure what to expect. There was the usual "sessions" with a speaker and
worship. It was all pretty good. Except, I'm not sure about some of
what the speaker said. He talked a lot about unity in Christ and how we
shouldn't split or get worked up about "little issues." To an extent I
think it was a good and appropriate message.

However when he started talking about music I think he was too
simplistic, as a lot of our friends in the liberal church movement tend
to do. Basically people like him acknowledge the powerful positive
influence of music while denying it's potential negative influence.

I hung out with Derrick a lot there. He's such a great guy. He's always
trying to do what is right and seems to be free of other people's
opinion's. I guess that's what I admire the most about him. He can just
be himself around anyone.

There were envelopes for everyone at the camp in which people could
write notes of encouragement or whatever to anyone, without necessarily
signing it. So I got a couple notes. I'm almost positive one of them
was from Derrick. The other...I could guess but I'm not sure. meh.

The first night Darren and Gavin and this other Ausie guy named
Jonathan were all in a room. (The place was pretty nice by the way). So
Jonathan's a larger guy. He snores really really loud and obnoxiously.
It's hard to explain. You kinda have to here it. He'll like pause for
maybe ten seconds and than gasp for air. It's a horrid sound. So anyway
none of us (besides Jonathan) got much sleep that night. We switched
rooms the second night. I hope Jonathan wasn't offended. We tried to
talk with him about it but he wouldn't really listen. He's kind of one
of those oblivious guys.

We had such great weather. And just being with friends the whole time
was so great. It's so cool because I feel like we all know each other
and bond well. Like one big family.

I sat next to Emily on the way down. She's cool. We talked heaps (as
the Ausie's would say). I really enjoyed it. For some reason she
reminds me of Bonnie (my Aunt) when she was young. I'm not really sure
why. Just something about the way she looks and the way I picture
Bonnie as a youth.

Tonight Darren, eight girls, and I all went to a little cafe/ice cream
place near our house. It was really fun. I thought there'd be more
guys. But oh well. Afterwards, Cassie and Heather came over to our
house and we played ping-pong while waiting for their bus to arrive.
That was great fun too.

These females are all good friends. Nothing more.

No comments: