Monday, August 02, 2004

Church, Choir and Friends

Yesterday was Sunday. I didn't update the blog so I will fill you in.

Darren and I went to our hosts' church. It was a charismatic church
called "Glorious Gospel Church." Glorious referring to the gospel of
course. :) I wasn't really prepared for it. It was quite different than
what I'm used to. The whole service was quite loose. People would just
yell amen or whatever in the middle of the sermon. Also, people would
sing the scriptures, coming up with it all on the spot. The people were
really nice and anxious to welcome us into their church. I don't know
how many people I met. All asking the same questions - where are you
from in the US? what are you studying? how long are you here? etc.
Towards the end I just wanted to put my head down and bolt towards the
door. It finally ended.

Later that day Darren and I went for a walk. We went to check out the
closest harbor to our house. It wasn't very far away. There's even a
beach which will be fun when it gets warmer. It's been pretty chilly
lately. Anyway that was fun. He took his iPod and I took "Till we Have
Faces." It was so peaceful. Such a lovely place to sit and read. By the
way, that book is awesome. It's such a beautiful story. There is a
character in it that is just so pure with beauty, so much different
than what you often see today on the screen or wherever. I will try to
include a picture of this experience in this post.

Today I started my second week of classes. It went just fine. It's so
nice, I don't have to buy any text books. There are some that are
"recommended" but none required. I can get what I need in the library.
My one class went well. It was about different ministry opportunities
that we can get involved while over here.

I also started choir today. I talked with David Johnston the
director/president of the college about it at camp on the weekend. He
said that'd be great if I wanted to join even though it was a week
late. So I did. My parents really wanted me to and I also decided to
join because of the opportunity to meet more people. Another plus is
that we get to travel a little on "tour." I'm looking forward to it.

The practice went really well. None of the songs were very difficult
musically. One was in Latin or something so I was a little lost. But I
will learn it quickly. So far they have been classical style. However
I'm told the "fun" ones are the contemporary ones that we haven't
gotten to yet. They are gospel style. They even include a Kirk Franklin
song. Mmmm, I'm not so sure about that. Oh well, I'll see what they're
like before I judge too much.

Tonight a bunch of people were planning on going to the Lycart (sp?)
house to hang out. I would have gone but I didn't want to pay for the
bus ride (our week pass expired on Friday). So anyway I was settling in
for a relaxing and probably dull evening at home when I saw a couple
girls walk in the house. It was Lesley and Brittany. They live in the
Concord house (not a far walk) and didn't want to spend the money for a
bus ride either. I was kind of surprised but glad to see them.
Basically we just talked for a few hours. We were going to play a card
game but instead we were just lazy and sat there. It was nice. It made
me feel... um... appreciated that they came over. Don't get all worked
up. We're just friends. (I always have to put that little disclaimer on
there when I talk about girls too much. You understand.)


No comments: