Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Packed Van

I got a haircut yesterday. Today was the first day that
everyone really saw it. I was surprised at how many
comments I got. Everyone seemed to notice. I guess
it was because it was such a big change, it had been
getting pretty long. I thought the cut was too short as I
normally do after a haircut. But a lot of people said they
liked it.

For chapel today we had a speaker that introduced us
to a "new method of worship." I don't remember what
she called it but it was like a scenario we went through
while rubbing our neighbors back, if that makes any cents.
It was like a story where we rub each other's backs
according to what's going on in the story. I was sitting next
to a guy and a girl. It was kind of awkward. I didn't really
know the guy and the girl was... a girl. Despite it's
awkwardness it did feel really good to have a message.
It's been awhile.

Tonight we had our weekly meeting with all the Americans.
It was a good time. It's always really fun and extra
meaningful to sing praise songs together in that group.
It's going to be really sad to have to leave everyone at
the end of the semester.

After the meeting, Dr. Johnston was going to take all of us
to our houses. He's always really nice like that. We walked
back to the school which was nearby and got into the van
there. I think the van holds about 13 people legally. There
were 23 of us. We all piled in. We were crammed and
everyone was laughing and being loud. It was actually quite
fun. It was one of those vans that has a really high ceiling.
So a bunch of us were actually standing up. Probably not
too safe. Nothing happened though.

Dr. Johnston is so good at corny jokes. Remind me to tell
you one of them.

I was able to talk with Derrick and Luke for a little before the
meeting. It's a shame that I don't get to see them much,
except at school when we're passing each other between
classes. Those guys are so great. It's hard to explain. I love
just joking around with them. They're two great friends that I
really admire. I feel like I know Derrick a little better than Luke
but I'm getting to know him too. I love talking with them about
real issues that we all go through. It seems like it's a lot easier
to talk with them about deep issues than it is with some people.
By deep I mainly mean spiritual.

We always call Luke the gov'na, short for governor, because
he's the ASC representative. It's so funny. Derrick came up
with that. Like it sounds stupid but it's funny. Derrick started
calling him that and now everyone knows him as it. A lot of
stuff like that goes on that I can't really explain. I wish I could.
You just have to experience it to understand. But it's great fun.

Relationships make or break life.

No comments: