Saturday, August 21, 2004

40 Cent Ice Cream Cone

Darren and I got up at about 7:30 this morning to meet Dr. Johnston and
the convention centre in Darling Harbor. He was going to take us to
some aboriginal thing to learn more about them. The aborigines are the
group of indigenous people in Australia. It was sort of part of out
Australian History class but it wasn't required. It turned out to be
just a shop owned by an aborigine. The owner talked for maybe half an
hour about different aspects of his heritage. It was mildly
interesting. He talked about the boomerang and the digaredoo (sp?),
which is an instrument native to the aborigines. If we had known what
it was going to be like we probably wouldn't have gone. It was so hard
to get out of bed this morning. I need to start going to bed earlier.

Darren and I walked around Darling Harbor after that. It was really
fun, even though we were both pretty tired. It was a beautiful day, one
of the first warm days we've had here. It's hard to describe all the
different things we saw there. It's such a fun place to be. Being a
Saturday there were quite a few people there. While we were there, a
plane flew overhead. It made a smoke trail that read "frogger.com.au."
It was really cool to see him spell it. The site turned out to be a web
design business. Not a bad way to advertise.

We stopped at McDonald's and got their 40 cent soft serve ice cream
cone. That's such a great deal. I'm going to be doing that more often.

So after that we came home. It always takes awhile to get home from
downtown. But I usually bring my iPod, so it's not too bad. I listened
to PFR on the way there. Kingdom Smile is an amazing song. I had
forgotten how incredible it was till I heard it today. Listen to that
song. Kingdom Smile by PFR. Don't forget now.

By the way, who was it that told me about iPods being illegal in
Australia?

I wanted to get home earlier to catch Sean online. But I didn't get
home until about 11:45 pm CST. So I called home to tell him to get on
iChat, expecting someone to be up (on a Friday night). But I guess I
woke most everyone up. Oh well, I got to talk with them for a while.

I know this isn't the most original thing to say, but I can not believe
how fast the time is going here. It really seems like we just arrived
here last week and yet it's been a whole month! Amazing. It kind of
makes me sad. There's so much to this experience that I know I will
miss heaps when it is over.

No comments: