Friday, August 13, 2004

Not a Terribly Interesting Post

I woke up at 8 today. For some reason I couldn't sleep
any later. That's always kind of frustrating. Wendy (my
home stay Mom) took Darren and I to the Sydney Olympic
park. It was pretty impressive. There was like so much
stuff that was built just for the Olympics when they were
here. I can't imagine what they spent on it. I figured the
boost to the economy would repay them, but (if I heard
her right) Wendy said they were still in debt big time. All
the buildings had this flowing feel to them. Like, all the
architecture contributed to the Olympic theme. Fun to see.

They had an Aquatic center there. It was huge. We didn't
get to see inside very well because they charged even to
look at it. But we did get to barely peak in. There was this
really nice pool with a slide. It was kind of like the pool at
the Salina country club except it was a lot bigger and
indoors. And the same pool even continued outside under
the wall. Wendy said there were several large spas too.
We hope to go back there sometime with friends.

When Wendy was driving us around and showing us the
different sites I was sitting in the passenger seat. She kept
pointing at things right across my face. Know what I mean?
It was kind of funny at first, but then it got annoying. heh Like,
I don't mean to be disrespectful and I appreciate the many
kind things she does for us but man, she talks a lot. She likes
to tell us all about things. When we went into the information
building she kept handing my these big brochures and saying
things like "Here, you might interested in this. So I ended up
carrying way more than I wanted to. I know it sounds like kind
of an immature complaint, but oh well. I just felt like venting a bit.

We got the bikes out today. They're BMX trick bikes. Darren and
I had fun just riding them around the neighborhood. It's a law to
wear a helmet on a bike here, so as soon as we find some we're
going to start using them to get to shops or the Concord house to
hang out. It's so much faster than walking.

No comments: