Sunday, August 29, 2004

--->something clever<---

As I was telling Sean, God becomes so great and exciting
when you are able to separate Him from going to church or
doing the right thing. I get so tired of thinking of God in such
a legalistic way. It becomes so freeing when I remember
Him as a relationship. He's so much cooler when He's not
limited by mere Sunday school like stories.

It's also extremely freeing to have an eternal perspective.
These are some thoughts that I like to dwell on because of
the hope that it gives me.

I went to Hillsong church, the one in Hills. It is one of their
main locations. It's pretty big. It probably holds a few thousand
people. I'm not so sure about that church. Here are a few of my
complaints:

1. It seems like they are more focused on numbers and events
than real spiritual growth.

2. They don't seem to take their "message" directly from the Bible.
They seem to take their own ideas and conform the Bible around
them.

3. They put a huge emphasis on supernatural physical healing.
They said that Christ died to free us from our sins and also from
our physical ailments quoting "...by who's stripes you are healed."
I've never heard this before, and thus don't think I agree with it.
I'm certainly not denying God's power of diseases, but I don't go so
far as to say that Christ died to take them away. What's the point of
that? God could have done that without dying. Please let me know
if I'm off my rocker.

On the free shuttle to Hillsong, we met a girl from Fayetville Arkansas.
Isn't that crazy? We just happened to sit next to her. She said she
noticed our accent and decided to ask where we're from.

I've been trying to remember that God's agenda is what's important,
not mine. Especially when praying and during my quiet time. I must
listen more. But it's hard to hear Him. At least my mind tells me so.

No comments: