Saturday, August 07, 2004

Alcohol? meh...who needs it

Today was a good day. I really didn't do much of anything. Which is why
it was so great. It was so nice to have a break from the busses and
trains and city. I mean, getting out and doing things with friends is
great, but it seems like I've been doing stuff none stop lately. So I
stopped today.

Tonight we had T-bone steak with mashed potatoes. It was really good.
It could have been better with A1 sauce but that's alright. When you
live in another culture you have to learn to live without some of that
good stuff. I tried alcohol for the first time today, in the form of
red wine. Before I drank it I thought, you know this might be pretty
good, kind of like sparkling grape juice. I was totally mistaken. It
was repulsive. I hated it. It tasted like really strong medicine. So
while I was there I decided to just go ahead and gag myself.

It reminds me of when I tried coffee for the first time as a kid. I
remember it distinctly. My Dad offered some of his to Sean and I. I
remember thinking it was a really grown up thing to do, so I was hoping
I would like it so I could drink it and feel important. But, it was
terrible. I ran to the bathroom and washed out my mouth in the sink.
Now I can tolerate coffee but it's still not that great. I don't know
if I'll ever like wine. I don't plan on trying it again any time soon
so I probably won't acquire a taste for it.

I called home today. It was great to talk with everyone again.
Michelle's so great, I asked if she would make a sleeve for my computer
and right away she agreed to. I'm so thankful for her.

I'm looking forward to going to church tomorrow. It seems like it's
been so long sense I've gotten some real spiritual insight. We went to
Wendy's church last week. I kind of had my guard up the whole time so I
didn't really feel like I learned anything. Plus, I'm not sure I agree
with what was said in the sermon. He talked about how we shouldn't
judge non believers for living immorally and not even confront them
about it. But that we should just let the Holy Spirit convict them.
Heaven forbid we offend anyone here. Anyway, I'm hoping tomorrow will
be better, we're going to a different church.

No comments: