Sunday, August 08, 2004

Communication With God

I don't want to type much tonight because I'm so tired. I can't really
blame it on anything though. Today was another lazy day. It was great.
Played video games, read, and watched the "tellie" (as the Australians
call it).

This morning Darren and I went into the city to go to the Wesley
church. I'm not sure if it's part of the Wesley denomination as we know
it. But it is a part of Wesley mission, which is a big ministry
organization here in Sydney. The church was good, I liked it. Mainly
because I liked the sermon. There's a name for the style but I can't
think of it. It's where a certain scripture passage is read and
expounded upon. And the pastor didn't seem to worried about offending
people. I mean, he would say, "Some Christian do this" or "This is what
we should work on."

But an interesting thing happened towards the end of the service. The
pastor said something like, "Before we close, there are two people I
feel God wants me to talk to today." It was a pretty big congregation,
probably about 4 or 500. First he pointed to a guy and asked his name
and gave him some verses he felt he needed to share with him. Of course
I was sitting near the front. I was thinking, "Oh great I hope he
doesn't talk to me next." But he did. I really didn't think he would.
He said something like God had laid it on his heart to speak to me. So
he said that God has been trying to tell me something, and that he will
be trying to tell me something. He didn't know what or how he would,
maybe sometime when I'm reading the Bible or by some other means.

Basically it caught me off guard and it was kind of freaky to be
singled out like that. I really don't know what to think of it. Up
until that point I didn't consider this church as being terribly
charismatic. Not that God only communicates like that to charismatic
churches, but you know what I mean. That sort of thing just doesn't
happen in my home church. The two verses he mentioned were 1Samuel 3:10
and John 10:27, which both talk about communication with God. It was a
really weird experience. I've been thinking about it all day. I've
never had something like that happen before. I guess its just weird
because I've never really thought about God as communicating like that,
and being so...real. I know that sounds kind of bad. But up until know
it's all kind of been in my head. Don't get me wrong I didn't just
discover God and become a Christian. That's not what I mean. I don't
know, it's hard to explain.

I mean, what if God really is trying to give me a particular message?
What would it be? How would he do it? All day I've kind of had an extra
sense of God's presence and been thinking about Him really
communicating with me. It's exciting and scary at the same time. I hope
I'm not falling for something that's not real.

Sorry if I didn't make any sense the last few paragraphs. I'm just
trying to communicate all of these thoughts in my head. Time will tell
what will become of this.

No comments: